Frigorifiques Charité: Movirack mobile pallet racks in a frozen storage unit
The installed high-density system offers a storage capacity of 1,103 pallets
Mecalux has installed the Movirack mobile rack system at the Entrepôts Frigorifiques Charité facility in Vaux-Les-Près (France). With these racks, the company is making the most of the surface area to store more than 1,000 of its customers’ pallets at temperatures below 0 ºC.
Warehouse with mobile pallet racking
Entrepôts Frigorifiques Charité is a French logistics operator specialising in refrigeration. It stores and distributes its customers’ products from various industrial sectors (mainly food and beverages).
Recently, it launched a new project with the aim of expanding storage capacity and providing a better service. To this end, it has opened a 2,400 m2 warehouse located in the French commune of Vaux-Les-Près, in which an area of 1,200 m2 operates at -25 ºC.
Mecalux has equipped it with six double-deep racks on mobile bases and pallet racking. The racks are 10 m high by 18 m long and divided into five levels. The total storage capacity is 1,103 pallets.
Movirack mobile pallet racks are considered a high-density storage system because they make the most of the available space by eliminating the number of aisles. At the same time, they provide direct access to SKUs every time a working aisle is opened.
The racks are placed on mobile bases that move both laterally and autonomously on rails. Operators use a radio control unit to give the order to open the desired aisle.
One of the biggest advantages of this solution for Entrepôts Frigorifiques Charité is that it reduces the energy consumption needed to generate cold, due to the thorough distribution of cold among a larger number of stored pallets.
Safety is a priority
The system has electronic equipment and security devices to protect operators and stored goods at all times:
- Internal barriers. They detect the presence of objects in the working aisle that would hinder the proper functioning of the system.
- External barriers. They stop rack movement if any equipment enters the aisle.
- Emergency stop buttons. Located in the control cabinet, on all the racks, they prevent the movement of those racks in the event of any incidents.
- Proximity photocells. They guarantee that the racks come to a safe and smooth stop.
Francis Jacquet - Warehouse logistics coordinator
“Through the installation of Movirack mobile pallet racks, we have significantly optimised storage space and reduced logistical costs. All of this has resulted in an increase in our profitability”.
Benefits for Entrepôts Frigorifiques Charité
- Storage capacity: the installed high-density system offers a storage capacity of 1,103 pallets.
- Cost savings: mobile racks help to significantly reduce the energy consumption needed to generate cold.
- Direct access to every pallet: as the racks move sideways on rails, the stored pallets can be accessed once one of the working aisles has been opened.
|Warehouse of Entrepôts Frigorifiques Charité|
|Storage capacity:||1,103 pallets|
|Pallet size:||800 x 1,200 mm|
|Max. pallet weight:||1,000 kg|
|Racking height:||10 m|
|Racking length:||18 m|
|Number of Movirack units:||6|
|Operating temperature:||-25 ºC|