The Weddeling warehouse in Germany with capacity for 4,876 pallets
Weddeling leverages the space of its warehouse in Germany
Weddeling's facility in Germany stands out for its capacity, speed and productivity
Mecalux has equipped the warehouse of logistics provider Weddeling in Borken (northern Germany) with two racking units and the semi-automatic Pallet Shuttle system. This solution, capable of storing 4,876 pallets, has streamlined the inflows and outflows of the company’s goods to and from their corresponding channels.
Characteristics of the Weddeling facility
Weddeling’s installation comprises two 7.5-metre-tall racking units with the semi-automatic Pallet Shuttle system. One block measures 55 m long and 11.5 m deep, while the other is 47 m long and 11.5 m deep. Each channel can accommodate up to 13 pallets.
With this high-density solution, Weddeling is able to store a very large number of pallets per SKU for each of its customers. The logistics provider stores 2,756 pallets measuring 800 x 1,200 mm and another 2,120 measuring 1,000 x 1,200 mm, totalling 4,876 pallets.
This system not only makes the most of the available space in order to achieve the storage capacity that this 3PL needed, but is also very easy to operate. Product entries and exits are speedy and require minimal operator intervention. The motorised shuttle is charged with moving the goods inside the storage channels.
As a safety measure, a passageway has been set up. Cutting crosswise through one of the racking units, it serves as an emergency exit. The top and sides of this underpass are protected by electro-welded mesh, which prevents the accidental fall of goods.
How does the semi-automatic Pallet Shuttle system work?
- Aided by forklifts, operators insert the motorised shuttle into the corresponding channel.
- The forklifts deposit the pallets in the first position of the channel.
- The Pallet Shuttle moves the pallets directly to the next free location inside the channel.
- To remove the goods, the same operation is performed but in the reverse order.
Advantages for Weddeling
- Storage capacity: in a total of 209 channels, the warehouse obtains a storage capacity for 4,876 pallets.
- Speedy high-density system: among high-density systems, the Pallet Shuttle is the most flexible by facilitating the insertion and removal of pallets into and from the channels with minimal operator intervention.
- Guaranteed safety: a safety underpass that serves as the emergency exit has been set up. It is protected by electro-welded mesh to ensure that operators are fully protected.
|Semi-automatic Pallet Shuttle system|
|Storage capacity:||4,876 pallets|
|Pallet sizes:||800 / 1,000 x 1,200 mm|
|Max. pallet weight:||1,000 kg|
|Racking height:||7.5 m|
|Racking length:||47 and 55 m|
|Racking width:||11.5 m|